HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting
Printer problems are a common phenomena that can be easily fixed using the right set of instructions. Depending upon the complexity of the problem, the time required to solve the issue may vary. The most commonly occurring problems in the printer are printer may go offline, connection error between the scanner and the computer or a problem with the ink cartridge. That can be rectified by the following HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting procedures.
HP Envy 5642 Printer Offline
The HP Envy 5642 printer may go offline and display a message on the screen when there is a loss in the connection between the printer and the computer or the network and the printer will not work until the issue is resolved. If you’re on a wired connection try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable or if you’re on a wireless connection try restarting the router and connect the printer to the network. The following HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting steps will explain just how to solve this issue and get your printer to start working again.
- If you’re on a Mac, try resetting the printer and remove multiple printers from the list of printers and check if your Mac is connected to the internet.
- End the pending print jobs and add your printer back to the list using the + icon on the left bottom of the menu. If it still doesn’t work, reset the printing system.
- If you’re on a PC, check the connectivity using HP Print and Scan Doctor. Set your printer as the default printer and resume printing. Reset the printer if it doesn’t work.
- Check the connection status and make sure the correct port is selected for both wired and wireless connections. Check if there’s a need to update the firmware.
- If there’s still no luck, try setting it up manually over the network on a wireless connection or try adding the printer using the HP Printer Assistant.
Network Scanner Connection Error
When trying to scan a document and if the printer could not find the scanner or if the scanner could not find the printer, it might be the Network Scanner Connection Error. The printer may display error messages like “Computer not found” or Scanner not found”. This issue has to be first resolved before you can continue with scanning documents with the printer. By following the HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting steps mentioned below, you will be able to do just that.
- In a wired connection, make sure the cable is connected properly to the printer’s Ethernet port and to the router and restart all the devices.
- Check the driver scan settings and the network and printer connection status. Also, see if the firewall is blocking the printer.
- For windows, try running the Print and Scan doctor. Uninstall and reinstall the printer software if the problem still persists. Now try scanning a document.
- If you’re on a Mac, try removing and re-adding the printer from the list of printers in the Printers and Scanners menu inside System Preferences.
- Uninstall the printer software and driver. Download the latest version of the printer software and driver and install it on your Mac and check if the problem has been resolved.
USB Scanner Connection Error
On a USB connection, if the printer is unable to find the computer or vice versa, an error message will be displayed on the printer’s screen like “No computer detected”, “Scanner not found” or “Scan unsuccessful” and will not perform any scan operation until the problem is solved. There are a number of things that can be done to re-establish the connection between the computer and the printer and resume the scanning process.
- Restart the printer and the computer. Make sure the printer’s power cord is directly connected to the socket and not through a power strip. Try scanning now.
- Check if the USB cable is connected properly and try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable again. Try using another USB cable to see if there’s any problem with the cable.
- On Windows run the Print and Scan Doctor and see if that helps. If you’re on a Mac, try removing the printer from the list of printers in the System Preferences and re-add it.
- Uninstall the printer driver and software on the computer and re-install the latest drivers and software and check if the printer is able to scan any document.
- On your Mac, try scanning using the HP Easy Scan app and if you’re on a Windows machine, try scanning with the Windows Scan app. Now you must be able to scan the document.
Black Ink Not Printing
If your printer is not printing documents using black ink or if the text on the print is faded or broken, there might be a problem with the ink cartridge. There can be a leak in the cartridge or the printer may not have been calibrated after inserting a new cartridge and that is preventing it from properly printing the documents. Follow the HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting steps mentioned below to solve this issue and get your printer to printing documents properly.
- Check if the cartridge you’re using is a genuine cartridge manufactured by HP. The quality of the documents being printed may not be the same when using a third party cartridge.
- See if the ink cartridge has enough ink in it by selecting the ink icon on the printer’s control panel and replace if the ink levels in the cartridge are low.
- If you have just installed your cartridge into your printer, you may have to give it some time for it to be cleared with the automatic service routine. If this does not solve the issue check the next HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting step.
- Make sure you’re using the right type of paper that is supported by your printer. In the print settings menu on your computer and adjust the settings like print quality etc.
- Try cleaning the page smears if any is present. For this go to setup on your printer’s control panel and under Printer maintenance, select Clean page smears and click OK.
Missing Ink Cartridges HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting
If an error message called “Cartridge missing” or “Ink Cartridge Problem” appears on the screen after installing a cartridge, follow the HP Envy 5642 Troubleshooting instructions mentioned below to resolve the issue. You can still print in Singe cartridge mode after removing the damaged cartridge. If the black cartridge is damaged, the printer will print the document with the color cartridge, but the colors on the image may seem a little different.
- Make sure you’re using genuine cartridges manufactured by HP because a third party cartridge may not work with the printer. Also, check if the cartridge inside works with your printer model.
- Turn on the printer and lift the cartridge access door and take out the cartridge to check if there is any leaks or damage. Be sure to hold it using the plastic and do not touch anywhere else.
- If there is any dirt on the cartridge or the copper contacts, clean it using a soft cloth and clean water. Let it dry for a few minutes and re-insert it into the slot. Check if it works now.
- If the problem still exists, clean up the cartridge again and re-insert into the slot. If it still does not work, reset the printer by disconnecting the power cord with the printer turned on and reconnecting it.
- If the process still persists, try replacing the cartridge. The cartridge may have been damaged due to some reason. Even after replacing the cartridge if you have the problem, call our customer care.